Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: Matched



What do you get when you cross Romeo and Juliet with George Orwell's 1984?

You get this book: 

Cassia is a member of The Society and tonight she's going to find out who they've matched her with. This person is going to be her life partner. They'll get married (after the appropriate courtship) and have children (the number of which will also be determined by The Society). But what happens if they make a mistake?

Yes, this is a teen fiction book.

The thing is, it kinda has to be.

This story requires a certain amount of innocence and naivete from the characters, and you just can't get that from a cynical 20 or 30 something.

I loved it, the story is so well-told and the characters are inherently likeable.

It's science fiction without being sciency.

The conclusion, however, left me a little cold. Obviously, I won't give it away, but I was hoping for something a little more, well, conclusive.

But I've just learned this morning that this book is the first in a trilogy.

Can I just say that I'm getting a bit sick of trilogies? Especially in young adult fiction?

It seems like every author is rationing it out to us, book by book.

Dammit, I want to read the whole story at once - I need closure people!

I think I'm going to wait until the next 2 books are released and then try to read them one after other. It's just too hard when you have to wait 1 year between books, trying to remember who's who and what they did.

I will say this, it's a kick-ass book and I highly recommend it to the teens in your life. Or, the 30 somethings who just won't let go of their adolescence!

My only suggestion is that you wait until all 3 are published and buy them all at once. That way, there's no agonising wait to see what happens next....

1 comment:

Julia's Bookbag said...

Ok I am totally into YA fiction and my post for tomorrow is about it!!! I am going to mention and link you! This sounds like something I would really like. Off to the library/bookstore....And yes it is highly annoying that these trilogy things keep you hanging.... :)~Melissa